Agenda and minutes

Marple Area Committee
Wednesday, 22nd July, 2020 6.00 pm

Venue: Webcast - Remote Meeting. View directions

Contact: Charles Yankiah  (0161 474 3206)

Note: In the light of government guidance on social-distancing and the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, this meeting will be held remotely. The press and public are able to follow the proceedings by watching our live webcast of the meeting. You can do so following the directions above, or by clicking on View the Webcast below. 

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 149 KB

To approve as a correct record and order that the Minutes of the meeting held on 17 June 2020 be signed.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Minutes (copies of which had been circulated) of the meeting held on 17 June 2020 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair subject to amendment of Minute 4 – ‘Declarations of Interest to the deletion of “as a friend of the applicant” and its substitution with  - “was known to the applicant”.

2.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors and officers to declare any interests which they have in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillors and officers were invited to declare any interests they had in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.

 

The following interest was declared:-

 

Personal Interests

 

Councillor

Interest

 

Malcolm Allan

 

Agenda Item 7 – Local Initiative Report – Marple Memorial Park, Art Project Hard-Standing Area as a volunteer on behalf of “Friends of Marple Memorial Park”.

 

Aron Thornley

 

Agenda Item 4(d) – Open Forum as the Marple Area Committee appointed Walk/Ride Group representative.

 

3.

Urgent Decisions

To report any urgent action taken under the Constitution since the last meeting of the Committee.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No urgent decisions were reported.

4.

Community Engagement

Additional documents:

4.(i)

Chair's Announcements

To receive any announcements from the Chair about local community events or issues.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair on behalf of the Area Committee –

 

·         Reported that there was some confusion with the ‘One Stockport’ campaign and the advertising across the Borough and the Chair expressed the Committees dis-satisfaction with the lack of consultation with local residents and businesses across the Borough. Officers will now meet with Councillors to discuss the way forward.

 

·         Informed the Marple residents that the A6 Consultation was ongoing.

 

·         Informed the Marple residents that the Park Volunteers had returned to work following a risk assessment and were social distancing and thanked them for all their hard work.

 

·         Informed the Marple residents that the consultation for the Marple Pool was still ongoing and proposals would be presented in the next month and would be continued to be monitored by the Marple Area Committee.

4.(ii)

Public Question Time

Members of the public are invited to put questions to the Chair of the Area Committee on any matters within the powers and duties of the Area Committee, subject to the exclusions set out in the Code of Practice.

 

Questions must be submitted prior to the commencement of the meeting via the Council’s website at www.stockport.gov.uk/publicquestions

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members of the public were invited to put questions to the Chair of the Area Committee on any matters within the powers and duties of the Area Committee, subject to the exclusions set out in the Code of Practice.

 

One public question was submitted as follows: -

 

·         Relating to the Council’s grass verge maintenance programme.

 

In response, the Committee was informed that the question had been circulated to the Public Realm officers for a response that would be shared with the questioner and the Committee.

4.(iii)

Petitions

To receive petitions from members of the public and community groups.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No petitions were submitted.

4.(iv)

Open Forum

In accordance with the Code of Practice no organisation has indicated that they wished to address the Area Committee as part of the Open Forum arrangements.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Peter Black and Lottie McCarthy representing the Marple Walkride Groups attended the meeting and provided an update relating to the activities of the  Marple Walkride Group in the area and specifically highlighted the following: -

 

·         Make ‘streets better’ for businesses and local residents in terms of safety and active travel;

·         Not a pressure group for cyclists;

·         Conducted a street survey in August 2019;

·         Pavements are narrow and not well kept

·         Cyclists are met with hostility;

·         Difficult for those with mobility scooters and disabilities to get around;

·         Civilising the school run;

·         Dominance of traffic in the Marple area;

·         Dealing with the main road issues e.g. Stockport Road, Brabyns Brow and Station Road;

·         Narrow pavements and speeding traffic;

·         People want to travel around differently; and

·         Area Committee to actively collaborate with the Walkride Groups to put plans in place for the improvement of Marple and putting people first in the community.

 

The following comments were then made/issues raised: -

 

·         Council officers were in a position to make changes for the Marple local residents relating to active travel;

·         Applying to the Mayoral Challenge Fund for 3 bids for the Marple area;

·         Chris Boardman initiative in Greater Manchester;

·         70 local residents involved in the groups;

·         Supporting the local groups and their experiences and proposals to Improve the area for active travel;

·         Improve security of bikes in the area;

·         Hedges to be cut back in areas for the use of bikes and pedestrians;

·         Update from the Atkins Report; and

·         Train Station and pedestrian crossing.

 

RESOLVED – That Peter Black and Lottie McCarthy be thanked for their attendance.

4.(v)

Ward Flexibility Funding - Compstall Community Council pdf icon PDF 401 KB

To consider an application for Ward Flexibility Funding received from Compstall Community Council for a grant of £730.00 towards the cost of setting up a website for the community of Compstall and will be shared with other groups in the village who don’t have such a medium.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Deputy Chief Executive submitted an application received on behalf of Compstall Community Council for a grant from the Ward Flexibility Budget towards the cost of setting up a website for the community of Compstall and which would be shared with other groups in the village who don’t have such a medium.  

 

RESOLVED – That approval be given to an application received from Compstall Community Council for a grant of £730 (£365 from the Marple North Ward and £365 from the Marple South Ward allocations) from the Ward Flexibility Budget towards the cost of setting up a website for the community of Compstall and which would be shared with other groups in the village who don’t have such a medium.  

5.

Development Applications

To consider a report of the Service Director (Place Development).

 

(a)

To consider the development applications where members of the public have attended the meeting in order to speak or hear the Area Committee’s deliberations.

 

(b)

To consider the remaining development applications.

 

(c)

To consider consultations (if any) received by the Service Director (Place Development) on any planning issues relevant to the Marple Area Committee area.

 

The following development applications will be considered by the Area Committee:-

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Development applications were submitted.

 

(NOTE: Full details of the decisions including conditions and reasons for granting or refusing planning permission and imposing conditions are given in the schedule of plans. The Corporate Director for Place Management & Regeneration is authorised to determine conditions and reasons and they are not therefore referred to in committee minutes unless the committee makes a specific decision on a condition or reason. In order to reduce printing costs and preserve natural resources, the schedule of plans is not reproduced within these minutes. A copy of the schedule of plans is available on the council’s website at www.stockport.gov.uk/planningdecisions. Copies of the schedule of plans, or any part thereof, may be obtained from the Place Directorate upon payment of the Council’s reasonable charges).

 

A representative of the Deputy Chief Executive outlined the procedure for public speaking on planning applications.

 

5.(i)

DC076953 : 25 Bonington Rise, Marple Bridge, Stockport, SK6 5DW pdf icon PDF 265 KB

Construction of first floor rear extension above existing ground floor.

 

The Area Committee is requested to grant planning permission.

 

Officer contact: Daniel Hewitt, 0161 218 1989, daniel.hewitt@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

In respect of plan no. DC076953 for the construction of first floor rear extension above existing ground floor at 25 Bonnington Rise, Marple Bridge -

 

a member of the public spoke against the application; and

 

the applicant spoke in support of the application.

 

It was then

 

RESOLVED – That planning permission be granted.

5.(ii)

DC076974 : Cornfield, Buxton Road, High Lane, Stockport, SK6 8AY pdf icon PDF 233 KB

Construction of first floor rear extension above existing ground floor.

 

The Area Committee is requested to recommend that the Planning & Highways Regulation Committee grants planning permission.

 

Officer contact: Daniel Hewitt, 0161 218 1989, daniel.hewitt@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

In respect of plan no. DC076974 for the construction of first floor rear extension above existing ground floor at Cornfield, Buxton Road, High Lane, it was

 

RESOLVED – That the Planning & Highways Regulation Committee be recommended to grant planning permission.

 

6.

Planning Appeals, Enforcement Appeals and Enforcement Notices pdf icon PDF 125 KB

To consider a report of the Deputy Chief Executive.

 

The report summarises recent appeal decisions; lists current planning appeals and dates for local enquiries; informal hearings for planning appeals, and enforcement action within the Marple Area Committee area.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to note the report.

 

Officer contact: Vicki Bates, 0161 474 3219, vicki.bates@stockport.gov.uk

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Deputy Chief Executive submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) listing any outstanding or recently determined planning appeals and enforcements within the area represented by the Marple Area Committee.

 

It was commented that there was currently no updates available relating to the appeals that had been lodged for the Garden House and Marple Wharf. In response, it was noted that due to Covid-19, the Planning Inspectorate had stated that there would be some delay in the determination of appeals and that these were not in the control of the Local Authority.

 

It was reported that regarding the development of houses on Hibbert Lane, Chatsworth Grange, concern was raised regarding a potential breach of planning regulations. In response, it was commented that further information would be required regarding the potential breach and that the enforcement team would be informed.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

7.

Local Initiative Report - Marple Memorial Park, Art Project Hard-standing Area pdf icon PDF 231 KB

To consider a report of the Corporate Director for Place Management & Regeneration.

The Area Committee is recommended to give approval to the proposed scheme to create a compacted accessible hard-standing area behind the former Bowling Pavilion within Marple Memorial Park.to access the planned artwork panel at a cost of £774.37 to be funded by the Area Committee’s Delegated Budget.

Officer contact: Wayne Bardsley, 0161 474 2588, wayne.bardsley@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Deputy Chief Executive submitted a report of the Corporate Director for Place Management & Regeneration (copies of which had been circulated) seeking approval for the cost of the proposed scheme to create a compacted accessible hard-standing area behind the former Bowling Pavilion within the Marple Memorial Park at a cost of £774.37 to be funded by the Area Committee’s Delegated Budget.

 

RESOLVED – That approval be given to the proposed scheme to create a compacted accessible hard-standing area behind the former Bowling Pavilion within Marple Memorial Park to access the planned artwork panel at a cost of £774.37 to be funded by the Area Committee’s Delegated Budget (£387.19 from the Marple North ward and £387.18 from the Marple South ward budget allocations).

8.

Progress on Area Committee Decisions pdf icon PDF 375 KB

To consider a report of the Deputy Chief Executive.

 

The report provides an update on progress since the last meeting on decisions taken by the Area Committee and details the current position on area flexibility funding. The report also includes the current position on the highway and traffic management delegated budget.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to note the report.

 

Officer contact: Charles Yankiah, 0161 474 3206, charles.yankiah@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Deputy Chief Executive submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) updating the Area Committee on progress since the last meeting on decisions taken by the Area Committee and the current position on Ward Flexibility Funding.

 

RESOLVED – (1) That the report be noted.

 

(2) That updates be requested for the following: -

 

·         Atkins Report;

·         Ludworth – Cabinet recommendations;

·         Oak Dene – SID data being circulated to Councillors;

·         Edwards Way (20mph) – what are the restrictions to be lifted;

·         Flooding Report – ward specific findings would be welcomed as a briefing or update; and

·         Access Only Signs – previously requested for Meadway, Thornway, Beechway and Daisyway.

 

(3) That the following topics be considered for the Open Forum at future meetings: -

 

·         Shopping in Marple – to encourage shoppers to Marple

·         Litter in Marple