The Council, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, has established a Standards Committee, as well as appointing two Independent Persons with whom the Standards Committee will consult on the conduct of members in the event a complaint is received.
The role of the Standards Committee is to:
· Promote high standards of conduct by councillors and co-opted members of Stockport Council.
· Guide councillors, co-opted members and the Independent Persons and monitor the operation of the Code of Conduct.
· Review the Code of Conduct and the Council’s ‘Arrangements’ under the Localism Act 2011.
· Consider complaints against councillors and co-opted members and make assessments and determinations of these complaints where appropriate.
· Consider report of the Monitoring Officer on complaints relating to alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct.
· Consider dispensations for members from requirements relating to interests set out in the Code of Conduct and exemptions to political restrictions on officers.
A copy of the Code of Conduct is available by following the link.
More information about how to make complaints about councillors or co-opted members, including a guide, can be found by following the link.
Complaints about councillors may be considered by the Standards Sub-Committee.
Support officer: Democratic Services.
Phone: 0161 474 3216
Fax: 0161 474 3240
Web site: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/democracy