Agenda and minutes

Contributors Committee - Tuesday, 27th July, 2021 11.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber - Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Carol Hargreaves  (0161 474 3203)

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes

To approve as a correct record and sign the Minutes of the meeting held on 25 March 2021.

Minutes:

The Minutes (copies of which had been circulated) of the meeting held on 25 March 2021 were approved as a correct record.

2.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors and Officers to declare any interests which they may have in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

3.

Urgent Decisions

To report any urgent action taken under the Constitution since the last meeting of the Committee.

Minutes:

No urgent decisions were reported.

4.

Public Question Time

Members of the public are invited to put questions to the Chair on any matters within the powers and duties of the Committee, subject to the exclusions set out in the Code of Practice.  (Questions must be submitted no later than prior to the commencement of the meeting on the card provided. You can also submit via the Council’s website at www.stockport.gov.uk/publicquestions)

 

Minutes:

No public questions were submitted.

5.

Exclusion of the Public and the Public Interest Test

To consider whether it is in the public interest to exclude the public during consideration of agenda items 6-11 which contain information ‘not for publication’ by virtue of Category 3 ‘Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority)’ as set out in the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That in order to prevent the disclosure of information which was not for publication relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority), the disclosure of which would not be in the public interest, would not be fair and would be in breach of Data Protection principles, the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of agenda items 6-10.

 

6.

Ratification of Statutory Accounts for TLC Ltd to 31 March 2021

To consider a report of the Finance & Commercial Director, Totally Local Company

 

The Committee is invited to consider and comment on the report.

 

Officer Contact: Steve Jallands at steve.jallands@totallylocalcompany.co.uk

Minutes:

The Finance & Commercial Director, Totally Local Company submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which updated Members on the Statutory Accounts for TLC Ltd to 31 March 2021.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members noted that the accounts had been dominated by pension scheme adjustments.

·         Members commented that TLC had been both flexible and creative and this was recognised.  Some streams of work no longer needed to be done and this had enabled the juggling of resources.

·         In response to a Member question, the Committee was advised that many of the services provided by TLC returned to normal in September and it was hoped that the backlog of work would be completed by the end of the year.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

 

 

 

7.

Finance Report for TLC Ltd to 30 June 2021

To consider a report of the Finance & Commercial Director, Totally Local Company

 

The Committee is invited to consider and comment on the report.

 

Officer Contact: Steve Jallands at steve.jallands@totallylocalcompany.co.uk

 

Minutes:

The Finance & Commercial Director, Totally Local Company submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which updated Members on the Financial Report for TLC Ltd to 30 June 2021.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         In response to a Member question relating to a shortage of staff especially those with skills, the Committee was advised that TLC was under pressure in this area.  The number of applicants for vacancies was down across the board.  Subtle changes to the package that was offered were being introduced, but TLC faced competition from companies able to offer better rates especially in relation to drivers.

·         The issues relating to waste collection and disposal have been long term issues and it was proposed that TLC would meet with the Council in September to review the service and build in some resilience.

·         Members were pleased to see that the new vehicles that were in use were much quieter.

·         Members commented that the hard work undertaken by employees of TLC was noted and very much appreciated.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

 

 

8.

Update on the future of TLC Security Operation

A representative of the Chief Executive Officer, Totally Local Company to report at the meeting.

 

Officer Contact: David Hughes at email: david.hughes@totallylocalcompany.co.uk

 

Minutes:

The Chief Executive Officer, Totally Local Company provided a verbal presentation which updated Members on the future of the TLC Security Operation.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members were pleased to note the first steps of the new arrangements.

 

RESOLVED – That the verbal presentation be noted.

9.

TLC Business Plan 2021-2025

The Chief Executive Officer, Totally Local Company to report at the meeting.

 

Officer Contact: David Hughes at email: david.hughes@totallylocalcompany.co.uk

 

Minutes:

The Chief Executive Officer, Totally Local Company, provided a verbal presentation which provided Members with an update on the TLC Business Plan 2021-2025.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members asked whether the Business Plan raised any possible areas of conflict with Stockport Council.  In response, Members were advised that TLC and the Council worked very well together and shared initiatives, any challenges were worked through collaboratively.

·         With regard to the challenges and timescales relating to improving the fleet, the Committee was advised that this was very much at an embryonic stage.  Some of the necessary technology was not quite stable enough yet.

·         A short discussion took place relating to the cost, depreciation and infrastructure necessary to improve the fleet.  It was unclear at this stage whether electric vehicles would have the battery life to undertake the journeys that would be required.

·         In response to a Member question, an explanation was provided as to how the bin exchange project worked.

·         The Deputy Chief Executive provided a short explanation of the costs to the Council of the refuse collection service.

·         Members were pleased to note that a review of the Signshop was to be undertaken.

 

RESOLVED – That the verbal presentation be noted.

10.

SMBC Funding Challenge to TLC 2022-2023

The Chief Executive Officer, Totally Local Company to report at the meeting.

 

Officer Contact: David Hughes at email: david.hughes@totallylocalcompany.co.uk

 

 

Minutes:

The Chief Executive, Totally Local Company provided a verbal presentation which updated Members on the SMBC Funding Challenge to TLC 2022-2023.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members noted the real challenges in relation to funding faced by TLC and the creative ideas to address this that were being explored.

 

RESOLVED – That the verbal presentation be noted.