Agenda and minutes

Stepping Hill Area Committee - Tuesday, 3rd August, 2021 6.00 pm

Venue: Conference Room 1 - Fred Perry House. View directions

Contact: Damian Eaton  (0161 474 3207)

Note: In the light of the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the consequent limited capacity of many of our meeting rooms, members of the public are strongly encouraged to watch the public webcast rather than attend the meeting in person unless you are attending for the purposes of public speaking on planning applications. 

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 238 KB

To approve as a correct record and sign the Minutes of the meeting held on 22 June 2021.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Minutes (copies of which had been circulated) of the meeting held on 22 June 2021 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

2.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors and officers to declare any interests which they have in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillors and officers were invited to declare any interests which they had in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.

 

The following interest was declared:-

 

Personal Interests

 

Councillor

Interest

 

 

Grace Baynham

Agenda Item 4(ii) - ‘Public Question Time’ as an employee of Stepping Hill hospital the subject of which was raised under this item.

 

3.

Urgent Decisions

To report any urgent action taken under the Constitution since the last meeting of the Committee.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No urgent decisions were reported.

4.

Community Engagement

Additional documents:

4.(i)

Chair's Announcements

To receive any announcements from the Chair about local community events or issues.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The following comments were made/issues raised:-

 

·         The Chair thanked local nurseries and school-care providers for their efforts in keeping school ‘bubbles’ open throughout the pandemic.

·         Members noted the availability of £30 million in government funding to support the ‘Changing Places’ campaign to provide more accessible toilet facilities across the country, and encouraged the Council to apply for a grant from this fund.

·         Members emphasised the ongoing need for the installation of more accessible toilet facilities across the borough.

 

RESOLVED – That the Area Committee call upon Cabinet to instruct officers to complete an expression of interest in the government’s Changing Places toilet fund.

4.(ii)

Public Question Time

Members of the public are invited to put questions to the Chair of the Area Committee on any matters within the powers and duties of the Area Committee, subject to the exclusions set out in the Code of Practice (Questions must be submitted prior to the commencement of the meeting on the cards provided. These are available the meeting.  You can also submit via the Council’s website at www.stockport.gov.uk/publicquestions.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members of the public were invited to submit questions to the Chair of the Area Committee on any matters within the powers and duties of the Area Committee.

 

Three public questions were submitted as follows:-

 

·         Relating to traffic and parking issues on Hazelwood Road and Bosden Fold Road at peak times, including speeding, corner-cutting, parking on double-yellow lines and a lack of fencing to protect pedestrians.

 

In response it was noted that apologies for attendance for this meeting had been received for this meeting on behalf of three three Hazel Grove ward members, and that this issue would be passed on to these members to provide a response following the meeting.

 

·         Relating to the 23 actions set out in the 2016 travel plan for Stepping Hill hospital, including whether these actions had been undertaken and who had been monitoring the success of the plan.

 

In response, it was commented that the Chair had requested an update from the hospital with regard to the travel plan and that this was expected to be received by the next committee meeting. Members noted that they had previously requested a representative of the hospital to attend the area committee meeting and asked that this request be put forward again.

 

·         Relating to the 15 year planning consent for temporary parking decks at Stepping Hill hospital and whether the hospital would make a firm commitment to a permanent solution to the parking issues in the area. The questioner requested that the area committee write to the new Chief Executive of the hospital outlining local residents’ concerns about a lack of progress in this regard.

 

In response, the Area Committee agreed to write to the hospital on behalf of residents to express the concerns outlined in the question. Members noted the submission of a draft travel plan in February 2021 by the hospital, which would be reviewed by council officers in order to determine its effectiveness. Members requested an immediate update once this review had been undertaken so that the results could be scrutinised further. Members noted that the only parking solution that they could have definitive control over would be a residents parking scheme, and that they could not legislate specifically to force the hospital to build a permanent car park.

4.(iii)

Petitions

To receive petitions from members of the public and community groups.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No petitions were submitted.

 

Members commented that there was a live petition on the Council’s website  in relation to traffic issues on Kennerley Road, Davenport with particular regard to the use of the road by HGVs and damage that this was causing to parked cars. Members encouraged local residents to sign the petition via the council website.

4.(iv)

Open Forum - Local Plan Engagement pdf icon PDF 665 KB

The Area Committee will receive a brief presentation on the proposed approach to engagement on the Local Plan.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Amy Beasley (Service Manager Local Plan and Place Shaping) attended the meeting to provide a brief presentation to the area committee on the proposed approach to engaging with communities and stakeholders as the Local Plan was developed and seeking input on further opportunities to engage with local communities.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:-

 

·         Paper copies of the local plan engagement survey should be made available in community spaces such as libraries for people who could not access the online version.

·         The officer time already spent on the development of Greater Manchester Spatial Framework (GMSF) should not be wasted and significant elements of what work could be used in the development of the local plan. In response, it was noted that development of the local plan was always intended to be concurrent to GMSF and that the evidence base used for GMSF would be used within the local plan’s development.

·         Young people were keen to be engaged with on the local plan, and visual stimuli such as information videos about the plan may be the best way to engage with these groups.

·         Members requested a list of groups that had already been engaged with in order to understand better which communities within the borough could be targeted more closely.

·         Members questioned whether the completed plan would reduce the threat of aggressive and inappropriate development across the borough. In response it was commented that while the specific detail of the plan had not yet been written in regard to development, the plan would help to identify more appropriate areas for development in future.

·         Face-to-face engagement with local residents should always remain at the heart of the local plan.

 

RESOLVED – That Amy Beasley be thanked for her attendance and presentation.

4.(v)

Ward Flexibility Funding - Stockport Neighbourhood Watch Association pdf icon PDF 280 KB

To consider an application received from Stockport Neighbourhood Watch Association for a grant of £1,050 (£150 from this Area Committee) from the Ward Flexibility Budget towards the cost of establishing a website for the organisation.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer) submitted an application received on behalf of Stockport Neighbourhood Watch Association for a grant from the Ward Flexibility Budget towards the cost of establishing a website for the organisation.

 

RESOLVED – That approval be given to an application received from Stockport Neighbourhood Watch Association for a grant of £150 from the Ward Flexibility Budget towards the cost of establishing a website for the organisation.

5.

Development Applications

There are currently no development applications to consider.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no development applications to consider.

6.

Planning Appeals, Enforcement Appeals and Enforcement Notices pdf icon PDF 30 KB

To consider a report of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer).

 

The report summarises recent appeal decisions; lists current planning appeals and dates for local enquiries; informal hearings for planning appeals, and enforcement action within the Stepping Hill Area Committee area.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to note the report.

 

Officer contact: Vicki Bates on 474 3219 or email: vicki.bates@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer) submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) summarising recent appeal decisions; and listing current planning appeals and dates for local enquiries, informal hearings for planning appeals, and enforcement action within the Stepping Hill Area Committee area.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

7.

Blackstone Road, Offerton pdf icon PDF 223 KB

To consider a report of the Corporate Director (Place) and Deputy Chief Executive.

 

The report details a proposal for the relocation of two speed humps on Blackstone Road in Offerton as part a new housing development.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to give approval to the following:-

 

Relocate Two Flat Top Speed Humps:

 

Blackstone Road, Offerton - Remove hump from a point 15 metres South East of the South Easterly kerb line of Rishworth Close and relocate to a point 30 metres South East of the South Easterly kerb line of Rishworth Close.

 

Blackstone Road, Offerton - Remove hump from a point 10.5 metres North West of the North Westerly kerb line of Sleddale Close and relocate to a point 8 metres South East of the South Easterly kerb line of Sleddale Close.

 

Officer contact: Max Townsend on 0161 474 4861 or email: max.townsend@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Corporate Director (Place) and Deputy Chief Executive submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) detailing a proposal for the relocation of two speed humps on Blackstone Road, Offerton as part of a new housing development.

 

RESOLVED – That approval be given to the relocation of two flat top speed humps as follows (to be funded by way of developer contribution):-

 

Blackstone Road, Offerton - Remove hump from a point 15 metres South East of the South Easterly kerb line of Rishworth Close and relocate to a point 30 metres South East of the South Easterly kerb line of Rishworth Close.

 

Blackstone Road, Offerton - Remove hump from a point 10.5 metres North West of the North Westerly kerb line of Sleddale Close and relocate to a point 8 metres South East of the South Easterly kerb line of Sleddale Close.

8.

Road Safety Around Schools - Hazel Grove Primary School pdf icon PDF 231 KB

To consider a report of the Corporate Director (Place) and Deputy Chief Executive.

 

The report details the findings of a consultation exercise for the Road Safety around Schools scheme around Hazel Grove Primary School and to seek approval for the implementation of dropped kerbs with tactile paving; access protection markings; and new school warning signs.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to give approval to the following scheme to be funded from the Road Safety Around Schools Programme Budget:-

 

·         Review and upgrade of the school warning signs along Commercial Road to ensure their relevance and requirement;

·         Installation of dropped kerbs and tactile paving on Commercial Road, between Talbot Street and Co-operative Street to aid pedestrians / children to cross the road and support the existing School Crossing Patrol; and

·         Provision of two ‘Middleton Bollards’ at the uncontrolled crossing adjacent to Co-operative Street, three ‘Middleton Bollards’ on Chapel Street at the uncontrolled crossing point adjacent to Grove Street and four ‘Middleton Bollards’ on Chapel Street at the uncontrolled crossing point located to the north of Hazel Street, to highlight pedestrian routes to school and prevent vehicular encroachment on footways.

 

Officer contact: Caroline Aylmer-Shanks on 0161-474-4840 or email: c.aylmer-shanks@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Corporate Director (Place) and Deputy Chief Executive submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) to detail the findings of a consultation exercise for the Road Safety around Schools scheme around Hazel Grove Primary School and to seek approval for the implementation of dropped kerbs with tactile paving; access protection markings; and new school warning signs.

 

RESOLVED – That approval be given to the following scheme to be funded from the Road Safety Around Schools Programme Budget:-

 

·         Review and upgrade of the school warning signs along Commercial Road to ensure their relevance and requirement;

·         Installation of dropped kerbs and tactile paving on Commercial Road, between Talbot Street and Co-operative Street to aid pedestrians / children to cross the road and support the existing School Crossing Patrol; and

·         Provision of two ‘Middleton Bollards’ at the uncontrolled crossing adjacent to Co-operative Street, three ‘Middleton Bollards’ on Chapel Street at the uncontrolled crossing point adjacent to Grove Street and four ‘Middleton Bollards’ on Chapel Street at the uncontrolled crossing point located to the north of Hazel Street, to highlight pedestrian routes to school and prevent vehicular encroachment on footways.

9.

Parks Event Application (Torkington Park) - Summer Childrens Funfair - August 2021 pdf icon PDF 195 KB

To consider a report of the Corporate Director (Place) and Deputy Chief Executive.

 

The report details an application from Morleys Funfair to hold a Summer Children’s Funfair in Torkington Park on 20th-22nd August and 27th-30th August 2021.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to grant the application subject to the appropriate health and safety documentation being in place and the payment of the necessary fees and charges.

 

Officer contact: Jacky Budd on 0161 474 3332 or email: jacky.budd@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Corporate Director (Place) and Deputy Chief Executive submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) to detail an application from Morleys Funfair to hold a Summer Children’s Funfair in Torkington Park on 20th-22nd August and 27th-30th August 2021.

 

RESOLVED – That approval be given to an application received from Morleys Funfair to hold a Summer Children’s Funfair in Torkington Park on 20th-22nd August and 27th-30th August 2021, subject to the appropriate health and safety documentation being in place and the payment of the necessary fees and charges.

10.

Progress on Area Committee Decisions pdf icon PDF 58 KB

To consider a report of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer).

 

The report provides an update on progress since the last meeting on decisions taken by the Area Committee and details the current position on area flexibility funding. The report also includes the current position on the highway and traffic management delegated budget.

 

The Area Committee is recommended to note the report.

 

Officer contact: Damian Eaton on 0161 474 3207 or email: damian.eaton@stockport.gov.uk

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A representative of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer) submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) providing an update on progress since the last meeting on decisions taken by the Area Committee and detailing the current position on area flexibility funding. The report also included the current position on the highway and traffic management delegated budget.

 

It was noted that the issue with regard to traffic and parking problems on Bean Leach Road/ Bosden had been outstanding for some years and had not yet been resolved.  Ward councillors undertook to raise the matter with officers in Traffic Services to determine a way forward on this issue.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.