Venue: Remote meeting
Contact: Charlie Griffin Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | 0161 474 3235
Declarations of interest
Councillors and officers to declare any interests which they have in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.
Councillors and officers were invited to declare any interests which they had in any of the agenda items for this meeting.
The following interest was declared:
To consider a report of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer).
The report sets out the Scrutiny Review Panel Procedure Rules and suggests that the panel adopt them for the purpose of conducting the review.
The Scrutiny Review Panel are requested to formally adopt the Scrutiny Review Panel Rules for the purpose of conducting the review.
Officer contact: Charlie Griffin 0161 474 3235 | email@example.com
A representative of the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance and Monitoring Officer) submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which set out the proposed scrutiny review panel procedure rules for the purpose of conducting the review.
RESOLVED – That the Scrutiny Review Procedure Rules be adopted for the review.
To consider a report of the Director of Development and Regeneration.
The report outlines the proposed scope for reviewing the economic and social case for Metrolink in Stockport.
The panel is requested to:
1. determine the scope of the review, and outline any areas which the panel may wish to scrutinise further; and
2. consider and agree future meeting dates.
Officer contact: Sue Stevenson (Head of Highways and Transportation)
0161 474 4351 | firstname.lastname@example.org
A representative of the Director of Development and Regeneration submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) outlining the proposed scope and brief for the review of the Economic and Social Case for Metrolink in Stockport.
The Director of Development and Regeneration (Paul Richards) and Head of Highways and Transportation (Sue Stevenson) attended the meeting to respond to member questions.
The following comments were made/ issues raised:
· The proposed scope included:
o reviewing historic strategies and plans that had supported the case for Metrolink in Stockport and how the plans fit into the overall transport policies for Stockport and Greater Manchester;
o reviewing and identifying key policies and programmes that Metrolink would support in Stockport; and
o reviewing the impact and benefits of Metrolink and similar rapid transit schemes in other areas of Greater Manchester and the country, as well as considering the effect that covid-19 has had on those schemes.
· It was felt that the scope would support the panel as to whether the case for Metrolink in Stockport still continued to be relevant in light of the pandemic, current cost of living and funding concerns. Members were keen to ascertain the current situation and future in relation to Metrolink, and welcomed Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) to attend a future meeting of the panel.
· The importance of public transport was emphasised by the panel. It was noted that Stockport Council’s position was that Metrolink would be of great benefit to Stockport residents.
RESOLVED – (1) That the scope of the review be agreed; and
(2) That the proposed outline review plan and schedule of meetings be agreed.