Venue: The Upper Room, 11 Wilmslow Road, Cheadle, Stockport, SK8 1DW
Contact: Charlotte Douglass Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To approve as a correct record and sign the minutes of the meeting held on 14 November 2023.
The minutes (copies of which had been circulated) of the meeting held on 14 November 2023 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
Declarations of interest
Councillors and officers to declare any interests which they have in any of the items on the agenda for the meeting.
No declarations of interest were made.
To report any urgent action taken under the constitution.
No urgent decisions were reported.
Public question time
Members of the public are invited to put questions to the Chair on any matters within the powers and duties of the Sub Committee, subject to the exclusions set out in the Code of Practice. (Questions must be submitted prior to the commencement of the meeting on the card provided. These are available at the meeting. You can also submit via the council’s website at www.stockport.gov.uk/publicquestions
Members of the public were invited to put questions to the Chair on any matters in the powers or duties of the Sub Committee, subject to the exclusions set out within the Code of Practice.
No public questions were submitted.
Promoting the Brookfield Park Shiers Family Trust
To consider ways in which to promote the Brookfield Park Shiers Family Trust.
Members considered ways in which to promote the Brookfield Park Shiers Family Trust (hereafter known as the Trust).
The following comments were made/ issues raised:
· It was reported that the estimated interest and dividend from the Trust was £34,000 within real-term value.
· Members suggested two options for dispersal of the fund:
o the Trust could recommend the dispersal of e.g., £25,000 per year; or
o the Trust could recommend a lower dispersal, enabling a larger capital sum of e.g., £30,000 to be made available for larger projects.
· Members felt that grants with a higher ceiling value would facilitate larger projects. It was noted that it would not be possible to guarantee larger grants in future years in the event of a market crash.
· Members decided to recommend that £25,000 be made available per year from the Trust, with a view to increasing the figure to £30,000 per year over the next three years. Members recognised that the figure may reduce if market values changed.
· Members considered approaches to advertising the Trust to local community groups to encourage applications for grant funding.
· It was reported that there was a precedent for part of the Trust funds to be spent on publicity.
· Members suggested that communications relating to the Trust could be made through the Voluntary, Community, Faith and Social Enterprise (VCFSE) sector. Further, via scout groups, groups for toddlers, local Community Interest Companies (CICs), Makers Markets, the Cheadle Civic Society, the Village Partnership, an advertisement in the Cheadle Post and members of Cheadle Area Committee using their own communication channels.
· Members suggested the addition of a page on the council’s website providing step by step information for local groups on making an application to the Trust.
· Members also suggested that communications relating to the Trust include case studies demonstrating the benefit provided to the community by grants previously allocated to local groups.
· Members asked that a request be put to the council’s Communications Team to advertise the availability of the Trust fund through appropriate means, including the council’s website.
RESOLVED – (1) That the update be noted.
(2) That the Cheadle Area Committee be recommended to release £25,000 from the Brookfield Park Shiers Family Trust per year for the purpose of allocating grants.
(3) That all appropriate channels be used to communicate funds available through the Brookfield Park Shiers Family Trust to local community groups.