To consider a joint report of the Corporate Director (Place) & Deputy Chief Executive and Corporate Director (Corporate & Support Services) & Deputy Chief Executive.
Policy priorities for 2021/22 were set out within the Council Plan, which was adopted at the Budget Council Meeting in February. This incorporates the shared outcomes from the Borough Plan alongside specific priorities of the Cabinet.
These priorities, re-shaped to take account of One Stockport and Building Back Better (building on Covid19), are articulated within the Portfolio Agreements, which form the basis for regular in-year reporting. Portfolio and Corporate Performance and Resource Reports (PPRRs and CPRRs) will assess progress against key objectives, priorities, outcomes and budgets, enabling Scrutiny Committees to hold the Cabinet to account and for the Cabinet to identify current and future risks to delivery.
This report presents the draft 2021/22 Agreements for the Sustainable Stockport and Inclusive Neighbourhoods Portfolios for consideration and comment by the Committee.
The Scrutiny Committee is recommended to review and comment on the draft Portfolio Agreements.
Officer contact: Alan Lawson, Strategy and Performance Manager at email@example.com (474 5397) or Gaynor Ward, Strategy and Performance Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org (474 3186) or Kora Yohannan (Specialist Strategic Financial Adviser) email@example.com 474 4032)
The Corporate Director for Place Management & Regeneration submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) detailing the draft 2020/21 agreements for the Sustainable Stockport and Inclusive Neighbourhoods portfolios for consideration by the Scrutiny Committee.
The agreements articulated the policy priorities for 2021/22 that were set out within the adopted Council Plan, incorporating the shared outcomes from the Borough Plan alongside specific priorities of the Cabinet. These priorities, re-shaped to take account of One Stockport and Building Back Better (building on Covid19), are articulated within the Portfolio Agreements, which form the basis for regular in-year reporting.
The Cabinet Member for Sustainable Stockport (Councillor Sheila Bailey) and the Cabinet Member for Inclusive Neighbourhoods (Councillor Amanda Peers) attended the meeting to respond to questions from the Scrutiny Committee.
The following comments were made/ issues raised:-
· It was stated that it would be useful to include the previous years’ target within future such reports to more fully understand the standards against which performance was being measured.
· Members expressed their continued support for the Stockport CAN strategy and the pressure to expedite the implementation of its aims and objectives.
· The targets associated with the implementation of the Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone would be reported through the portfolio performance and resources reports.
· It was suggested that any reduction in carbon emissions from within the civic complex as a result of an increase in staff working from home may be offset by a consequent increase in carbon usage at residential properties.
· Further clarity was needed on what was meant by reducing inequalities and whether this related to economic or health inequalities or both.
· Large section of society did not have the same access to opportunities as others.
· Work was taking place to make the Council more inclusive as an organisation and how employees were supported and the availability of progression routes.
RESOLVED – That the report be noted.