Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To provide the Executive with an understanding of what further improvements the Council can make to its waste strategy to ensure that we maintain and improve our performance and financial advantage.
To seek approval for an amendment to the Recycling & Refuse Collections policy.
To determine the new level of fines to impose regarding presentation of household waste for collection.
The Executive Meeting has approved the following to ensure that the Council can maintain its performance in relation to increasing recycling and reducing residual waste:
· strengthening and reinforcing the ‘Right Thing, Right Bin’ communication programme to supports the promotion of changing resident’s recycling behaviour;
· the replacement of the white sack with a weighted sack for the storage / collection of pulpables;
· the methodology set out in Option B (Give option to authorise containers) for recovering unauthorised black bins;
· the methodology as detailed in the report for reducing excess waste at properties that were not suitable for wheeled containers;
· the introduction of dry recycling services to rural properties;
· the amendment to section 16 of the Recycling & Refuse Collections policy in relation to missed collections as set out at paragraph 5.5 of the report;
· the new level of fines for Section 46 offences, as set out at paragraph 6.5 of the report.
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Equality and/or Environmental Impact Assessment: The existing EIA for will be updated to reflect the amendments to the Recycling & Refuse Collections policy.
Decision Reference: ED1451
Forward Plan Reference: PR1
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Relevant portfolio holders and the Environment & Economy Scrutiny Committee.
Contact: Stuart Jackson, Services to Place Email: email@example.com Tel: 0161-474-3504.
Report author: Stuart Jackson
Publication date: 14/11/2012
Date of decision: 12/11/2012
Decided at meeting: 12/11/2012 - Executive
Effective from: 21/11/2012