Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Approval of plans and the business plan for
The Cabinet considered a referral from the Council Meeting asking it to reconsider its previous decision (CAB339) in relation to the Future High Street Fund - Stockroom'.
The Cabinet noted the objection of the Council Meeting and has agreed to amend its original decision of 7 December 2021 and has therefore:-
(1) Noted the update on progress with Stockport’s Future High Street Fund project, Stockroom and approve the proposals.
(2) Noted the recent consultation undertaken in relation to the relocation the town centre library offer from Central Library Building into Stockroom.
(3) Noted the views, comments and recommendations of the Communities & Housing; Corporate, Resource Management & Governance; and Children & Families Scrutiny Committees and the opinion and recommendation of the Council Meeting.
(4) Resolved to approve the proposals as set out in the Cabinet report of 7th December 2021 in relation to Stockport’s Future High Street Fund project, Stockroom, including a modern library offer. This is to be delivered in line with the Outline Business Case set out in Section 11 of the report.
(5) Confirmed that the Central Library Service would remain in the Central Library Building until a date linked to the opening of Stockroom, recognising the need for some transition during which the Library Service may not be fully available in either location. This is currently anticipated to be Autumn 2023.
(6) Resolved to establish a cross-party working group with representation from all groups on the Council, no later than 28 February 2022, to develop proposals for relocating the Continuing Education Service into the Central Library Building whilst retaining a library offer with the following terms of reference:
(i) any solution for retaining a library offer linked to the Continuing Education Service in the Central Library Building must come with a business case which covers how any revenue and capital costs associated with the solution will be funded;
(ii) no additional capital or revenue costs can be imposed on the Stockroom project as a result of any recommendation of the working group.
(iii) a solution must demonstrate the benefits which it will provide in addition to those provided by Stockroom; and
(iv) the working group must report back to Cabinet with its recommendations by 20th September 2022 to allow any decision to be implemented in time so that it might come into effect aligned to the proposed opening date for Stockroom.
(7) Resolved to instruct the Director of Development & Regeneration to write to the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities to update on progress with the Stockroom scheme.
(8) Resolved to delegate authority to the Deputy Chief Executive (Corporate and Support Services) and the Director of Development & Regeneration in consultation with the Cabinet Members for Citizen Focus & Engagement; Resources, Commissioning & Governance; and Economy & Regeneration to:
(i) appoint a contractor to deliver the refurbishment works and execute any necessary letter of intent or other agreement, pending resolution of the final contract, to maintain progress in connection with the redevelopment of Stockroom;
(ii) take all necessary steps to implement the strategy set out in the report and the resolutions contained within this decision; and
(iii) approve the final Operational Business Plan for Stockroom.
(9) Resolved to delegate authority to the Strategic Head of Service (Legal & Democratic Governance) to do all things necessary or incidental to the implementation of these resolutions.
To implement the decision as originally approved.
Reason Key: Significant expenditure or savings;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Equality and/or Environmental Impact Assessment: yes
Decision Reference: CAB346 (CAB339)
Declarations or conflicts of Interest: None.
Forward Plan Reference: E&R76/ RCG43
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Portfolio Holders, CLT, CRMG AND E
Contact: Paul Richards, Director of Development and Regeneration Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0161-474-2940.
Report author: Robert Goulsbra
Publication date: 02/02/2022
Date of decision: 01/02/2022
Decided at meeting: 01/02/2022 - Cabinet