Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consult a wide variety of stakeholders and interested parties on the future shape and offer in relation to leisure facilities within the Borough.
The Executive Meeting to considered the draft Leisure Strategy, a report summarising the outcome of the consultation exercise, a summary of the investment plan and an Equality Impact Assessment and
(1) approved the Strategy For Meeting The Physical Activity Needs Of Stockport People Through Leisure Facility Provision;
(2) approved the final proposals in respect of leisure facilities, namely:-
(i) the development of three new leisure facilities, in addition to the new facility opened in Reddish in 2010 by:-
· identifying and securing the opportunity for new provision in a location suitable to meet the leisure needs of the Town Centre, Adswood, Bridgehall and Edgeley communities.
· re-providing a sports hall and fitness suite ina more accessible location in Brinnington with subsequent closure of Target Life Lapwing.
· replacing current Offerton provision in the Dialstone Centre with enhanced provision of a sports hall and fitness suite as part of the proposed development opportunity.
(ii) Providing high quality, fit for purpose facilities through:
· investment of £7m+ in Target Fitness Avondale, Cheadle, Hazel Grove, Marple and Romiley together with Target Life Council owned leisure facilities and Grand Central Pools.
(iii) the closure of Target Fitness Peel Moat and continue to provide high quality facilities at Target Fitness+, Houldsworth Village and Target Life Priestnall.
(iv) the utilisation of Capital Receipt gained from the disposal of Peel Moat for on-site re-provision of a playing pitch with associated changing facility and for creation of a reserve to support the new centre provision for the Town Centre/ Adswood/ Bridgehall and Edgeley area.
(v) that the programme be delivered by Life Leisure (Stockport Sports Trust) on behalf of the Council and in accordance with the agreed Medium Term Financial Plan developed by the Council and Life Leisure in both capital and revenue terms.
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Equality and/or Environmental Impact Assessment: These assessments are being undertaken through the collection of data from the consultation process.
Decision Reference: ED1377
Forward Plan Reference: L5
Other reasons / organisations consulted
The consultation involves inviting views from a wide range of individuals and organisations. This consultation will take place via the Council’s website, standpoints in Leisure Centres and in some Libraries and via paper copies of the consultation questionnaire. The consultation will last until the 22nd November.
Contact: Carol Morrison, Services to Place Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0161-474-4501.
Report author: Carol Morrison
Publication date: 29/02/2012
Date of decision: 27/02/2012
Decided at meeting: 27/02/2012 - Executive
Effective from: 07/03/2012
This decision has been called in by: