Agenda and minutes

Schools Forum
Thursday, 21st March, 2019 4.30 pm

Venue: Aquinas College, Nangreave Road, Stockport, SK2 6TH

Contact: Democratic Services 

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed members to the meeting of the Foum and introductions were made.

2.

Apologies for Absence/Substitutions

To report any apologies for absence or substitutions.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Jo Lowe, Emma Hill, Damian Cunningham, Lucy Cooney and Paul Milton.

3.

Recording of Any Observers

To record any observers present.

Minutes:

It was reported that the following were in attendance as an observer:

 

Emma Morton           -           Schools Finance Team

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 62 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 22 January 2019.

Minutes:

The Minutes (copies of which had been circulated) of the meeting held on 22 January 2019 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

5.

Matters Arising

To discuss any matters arising.

Minutes:

It was reported that Paul Milton from Railway Nursery, Bramhall was to be the new early years PVI representative.  Mr Jon Roper is to have discussions with the Primary Heads Consortium as to whether he begins a new tenure or whether an alternative representative takes on the role.

6.

Executive Summary pdf icon PDF 58 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report provides Schools’ Forum members with an executive summary report of the business matters included on the main agenda.

 

Schools’ Forum is recommended to note the executive summary and offer any views, comments and feedback to be considered for future executive summary reports.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

 

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided the Forum with an executive summary of the business matters on the agenda.

7.

Integrated Children's and Education Strategy pdf icon PDF 271 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

The report provides Schools’ Forum members with an update on the proposal for an integrated Children’s and Education Strategy.

 

Schools’ Forum Members are requested to note the report and offer any further comments.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

 



Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided Schools’ Forum members with an update on the proposal for an integrated Children’s and Education Strategy.

 

RESOLVED – (i) The Local Authority to provide a copy of the ‘Rich Picture’ with minutes and correspondence.

(ii)  That the report be noted.

8.

Healthy Pupils Capital Update pdf icon PDF 73 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report provides details of the use of Stockport’s allocation of the Healthy Pupils Capital fund following agreement by the CSS Directorate Management Team (DMT).

 

Schools’ Forum Members are requested to note the report and the allocation of the HPCF grant.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided details of the use of Stockport’s allocation of the Healthy Pupils Capital fund following agreement by the CSS Directorate Management Team (DMT).

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         A short discussion took place relating to a number of key elements that representatives wished to raise on behalf of schools in relation to the approach taken by the Local Authority.  These elements included:

 

·         Local Authority criteria for schools to contribute 20%;

·         The split of funding across schools bids and specific projects;

·         The lack of consultation with schools;

·         The lack of timeline information relating to specific proposals 1 and 2;

·         Sustainability of projects;

·         Information as to how the Local Authority reached its final decisions.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

 

 

9.

Capital Program Update pdf icon PDF 65 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report provides Schools’ Forum members with progress/update in relation to capacity and condition issues within the Schools Capital Programme (SCP).

 

Schools’ Forum Members are requested to note the report and offer any comments.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided Schools’ Forum members with progress/updates in relation to capacity and condition issues within the Schools Capital Programme (SCP).

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         A short discussion took place in relation to delays in projects linked to the demise of Carillion and when specific schools would be updated in relation to progress.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

10.

2019/20 Budget pdf icon PDF 95 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report provides Schools’ Forum Members with the final details of the construction of the 2019/20 Total Schools Budget predominantly financed by deployment of the dedicated schools grant (DSG).

 

Schools’ Forum Members are requested to note the report and offer any comments.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided Schools’ Forum Members with the final details of the construction of the 2019/20 Total Schools Budget predominantly financed by deployment of the dedicated schools grant (DSG).

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members of the Forum asked questions relating to de-delegated services and other charging options available.

·         Forum Members also asked about Local Authority monitoring in relation to external SEN placements.

 

RESOLVED (i) That the report be noted.

(ii) A representative of the Borough Treasurer is to liaise with the Primary Heads Consortium (Julie Kersh) and present/discuss alternative options available relating to de-delegated service charges.

(iii) A representative of the Director of Education Services to speak to the SEN team regarding the Local Authority monitoring process in relation to SEN external placements.  This will be reported back to Schools’ Forum members.

11.

Nursery Schools Funding pdf icon PDF 55 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report provides Schools’ Forum members with an update on the latest announcement relating to Nursery Schools supplementary funding provided to Local Authorities.

 

Schools Forum Members are requested to note the report.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes’stockport.gov.uk

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided Schools’ Forum Members with an update on the latest announcement relating to Nursery Schools supplementary funding provided to Local Authorities.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members of the Forum expressed concerns about what is going to happen at the start of the next financial year and whether there would be enough time or capacity to look at alternative options.

·         Whilst the additional funding to ensure the current funding level is maintained until the end of the 2019/20 academic year was welcomed, concerns were expressed that the uncertainty relating to post September 2020 remained unclear.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

12.

DSG Review pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report provides Schools Forum members with the key elements of the DSG Review Group work streams that need to be addressed in the near future.

 

Schools’ Forum Members are requested to:

(i)           Note the report and offer any comments

(ii)          Agree the membership of the DSG Review Group as at Appendix 1.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided Schools Forum members with key elements of the DSG Review Group work streams that would need to be addressed in the near future.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Schools Forum Members had a short discussion relating to:

 

·         Members challenge on the Local Authority delivery of the review:

·         Details of next steps/activity

·         Updates to membership of the group

 

RESOLVED – (i) That the report be noted.

(ii) A meeting of the DSG Review Group to be arranged after the Easter Holidays.

(iii) The membership list to be updated to include Terry Conlon and Jo O’Rourke.

(iv) A representative of the Borough Treasurer to share information relating to the DSG Review Group to all schools following the next meeting of the Group (i.e Terms of Reference, plans etc).

13.

Scheme For Financing Schools Update pdf icon PDF 103 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer.

 

The report presents Schools’ Forum members with details of the proposed amendments to the scheme for financing schools document for approval.

 

Schools’ Forum Members are asked to:

 

(i)           Note the report

(ii)          Approve the proposed amendments as provided at Appendix 2.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes on 0161 474 3947 or Email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which presented Schools’ Forum Members with details of the proposed amendments to the scheme for financing schools document for approval.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         Members of the Forum were advised that no formal consultation had been undertaken as all proposed amendments related to updates as per “Direct Revisions” from the Secretary of State.

 

RESOLVED (i) That the report be noted.

(ii) Schools’ Forum Members approved (by majority vote) the proposed amendments as contained within the report.

(iii) A representative of the Borough Treasurer to provide a hyperlink to all members of the updated scheme. 

 

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/scheme-for-financing-schools

 

 

14.

Schedule of Meetings & Training pdf icon PDF 75 KB

To consider a report of the Borough Treasurer

The report provides Schools’ Forum members with details of the calendar dates of meetings agreed for the 2018/19 academic year.

The report also provides Schools’ Forum members with the opportunity to request reports for future meetings and/or make amendments to the forward planner (Appendix 1).

The report provides Schools’ Forum members with the opportunity to request any items for training/development sessions.

Schools Forum members are asked to:

 

                  I.        Note the above report;

                II.         Request any reports for future meetings;

               III.        Note the 2018/19 academic year meeting dates provided at section 3.1 above;

              IV.        Discuss and propose any amendments to the forward planner; and

                V.        Request any items for training/development sessions.

 

Officer contact: Peter Hughes Tel 474 3947 Email: peter.hughes@stockport.gov.uk

 

Minutes:

A representative of the Borough Treasurer submitted a report (copies of which had been circulated) which provided Schools’ Forum Members with details of the calendar dates of the meetings agreed for the 2018/19 academic year.  The report also provided Schools’ Forum Members with the opportunity to request reports for future meetings and/or make amendments to the forward planner.  The report further provided Schools’ Forum Members with the opportunity to request any items for training/development sessions.

 

The following comments were made/issues raised:

 

·         A representative of the Borough Treasurer confirmed that depending on information/updates available relating to a comprehensive spend review (CSR) and other key matters, a decision would be taken at a later date as to whether a July meeting of the Forum would be required.

 

RESOLVED – That the report be noted.

15.

Any Other Business

To discuss any other business.

Minutes:

Mr Jon Roper raised the issue of “over capacity” of school places in the area and the impact that this is having on school budgets etc. 

 

RESOLVED – (i) That the Local Authority will contact the School Organisation team and report back to Members of the Forum.